The Don Bosco house in Ronda was donated to the Salesian religious congregation that was founded by Don Bosco. The house carries Don Bosco’s name as an homage, but it has not been his residence.
The house was built around 1850 and remodelled at the beginning of the 20th century in a modernist style by the architect Santiago Sanguinetti. The owners were an upper class Spanish matrimony: the engineer Don Francisco Granadino Pérez and his wife Doña Dolores Gómez Martínez.
The couple didn’t have any offspring and after they passed away (in 1932 and 1938 respectively), their house and some of their other properties were donated to the Salesian Congregation, due to a great friendship with them.
By testamentary disposition, endorsed by the niece of the couple, Mrs. Dolores Madrid Granadino (universal heiress), the “Foundation Granadino of Saint John Bosco” was created in 1939. Its purpose was to make the house in Calle Tenorio a place of rest, healing, recovery, lodging and care for the elderly members of the local Salesian Congregation who were exhausted by work or diminished by the infirmities of life.
The official opening of the Don Bosco sanatorium was on 15 September 1940. Its “golden age” was between 1946-1964, when the director was Don Salvador Rosés. For 18 years he attended to the residents with an unparalleled affection and complete dedication. During this time, no less than 150 Salesians came to seek help, mostly young people who suffered from some kind of ailment (perhaps as a consequence of those times of hardship). After a period of convalescence and total rest, they returned happily and fully restored to their colleges or ordinary occupations.
Over the years the house has had several different purposes as well. Amongst others it functioned as a residence for university orientation students under the tutelage of a Salesian priest, a youth centre, headquarters of the Spanish Salesian theatre group “TES”, and a cultural centre with language and administrative courses, sports events and workshops including woodcarving and embroidery. Apostolic community activities such as religion classes and Eucharistic have also been realized throughout.
The Don Bosco house was closed as a sanatorium in 2008.